when its cold outside, i tend not to eat much cold foods especially salads. i found this simple warm salad in an old issue of everyday foods (may ’05). it went well as a side or just itself w/ a loaf of crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, diced
- 1 clove garlic, slivered
- 1 can (19 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring, until pepper is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in beans, lemon zest, and 1 cup water, and season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover, and cook until beans have absorbed most of the liquid, about 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; season again with salt and pepper.