happy first weekend of spring! after a few days of warm sunny weather, mother nature did a 360º and dropped 30ºF, snow & wind. wtf??! instead of something refreshing for spring, i dug out an old issue of Everyday Food and made this:
- 3 pounds beef chuck, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound medium onions (about 2), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound small white or red new potatoes (about 6), well scrubbed, halved if large
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a Dutch oven (5-quart) with a tight-fitting lid, combine beef, tomato paste, vinegar, and flour; season with salt and pepper.
- Add onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to oven, and cook until meat is fork-tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaves and, if desired, season with salt and pepper before serving.
*i also added frozen peas towards the end.